Indicators of News Diversity
When considering which factors determine whether a national press system is diverse or not the following factors should be taken into account:
- The number of different news sources, both public and private, which portray different points of view.
- Whether legal, economic or other powers are able to restrict access to the media.
- Whether the government and public media are able to remain unbiased and serve the public interest.
- Whether independent news agencies able to gather and distribute news or whether there restrictions on this.
- Whether the public aware of the ownership of different media companies in order that they can evaluate the objectivity of the media for themselves.
- Whether the media reflects and represents a broad range of social interest.